Thursday, April 16, 2009

Laid-off Lethargy




A lot of people know I lost my job about three weeks ago, and lest I appear to be a particularly well-adjusted or mature person, I want to confess, I watched three movies during the daytime yesterday:
  • What We Do is Secret about Darby Crash and The Germs. It's hard to believe I was just down the freeway in college during the rise of LA Punk and never, not once, not ever came up here to see any of the bands that I'm constantly reading about and watching documentaries about now. I guess I was just so busy being a big fish in a mini pond.
  • I've Loved You So Long. Really good "sister" movie, and I never noticed before how much Kristin Scott Thomas looks like Lauren Hutton. Next time I'm in a car with my sister and I feel like she's not telling me something, I'm going to try and remember to say, "Tell me. I'm not other people." I also think I want to get my haircut like that sister's.
  • East Side, West Side, which made me long for a New York that never really existed anywhere but on Hollywood backlots. When I got off the Carey Bus in Midtown during spring break 1981, the New York I saw had absolutely nothing in common with the New York I was expecting. It turned out to be amazing in a thousand other ways, but it was nothing like cinematic New York the way Panda Express is nothing like Chinese food. East Side, West Side was all about adultery and nightclubs. Made me miss Mad Men.
I'll let you know what I'm going to watch next.


No comments:

Post a Comment